MOV files are an older format, and MP4 files are more commonly used. You may still have a large collection of old MOV files that are taking up space on your device.
And through this article, we will show you how to convert MOV files to MP4 (mov to mp4) file format by following these steps.
How to convert MOV files with iMovie on macOS
Whether you’re using the latest version of macOS Big Sur or a slightly older version, you’ll have no problem converting MOV files to MP4 with the built-in iMovie tool. You can follow these steps.
IMovie is the proprietary video editing software that comes with your Mac, and you can download it for free from the App Store to get your MP4 files:
- Launch iMovie. If you don’t find the app, tap the Finder icon, select Apps in the left pane, and then select iMovie from the resulting list.
- Once the program is open, click on File in the application’s toolbar, then select New Movie from the drop-down list.
- Hit the big Import Media button which will open your media browser.
- Next, tap on the file you want to import, then tap Import Selected in the bottom right corner.
- After importing the file, click on it, and a yellow border will appear around it.
- Then tap File in the app’s toolbar, and select Share from the drop-down menu. Then click on File.
- After that, adjust the export settings if you want, then click Next.
- Finally, choose a name for the file and where you want to save it, then press Save. And you can see the
- conversion progress as a small circle in the upper-right corner of iMovie.
- When the conversion is finished, you will see a desktop notification. This converts your pure MOV file into an MP4 file.